Administrative and Academic Services
- 1966-1967 Lecturer in the Humanities, Tunghai University, Taiwan.
- 1968-1971 Assistant Professor in East Asian Studies, Princeton University.
- 1971-1981 Successively Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor of History, University of California at Berkeley.
- 1981- present Professor of Chinese History and Philosophy, Harvard University.
- 1983-1986 Chairman, Committee on the Study of Religion, Harvard University.
- 1986-1989 Chairman, Department of East Asian Languages and Civilization, Harvard University.
- 1996-present Director, Harvard-Yenching Institute.
- 1999- present Honored as the Harvard-Yenching Professor of Chinese History and Philosophy and of Confucian Studies, Harvard University. It is the first time that a professorship on “Confucian Studies” in the English-speaking world.
Selected Other Appointments
- 1981- present Chair, Harvard Seminar in Confucian Studies.
- 1986- 1989 Overseas Member of Board of Directors, Institute of East Asian Philosophy, Singapore.
- 1988- present Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- 1990 Visiting Professor at L’Ecole Practique des Haute Etudies, Paris.
- 1990-1991 Director, Institute of Culture and Communication, East-West Center, Hawaii.
- 1993- present Co-chair, Seminar on “The Chinese in the Global Community,” Aspen Institute
- 1995-present Chair, Advisory Board of the Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy, Academia Sinica, Taiwan.
- 1997-present Member of the International Advisory Panel, Centre for Civilisational Dialogue, University of Malaya.
- 1998- present Member of the Advisory Committee to the Program Committee of the American Philosophical Association.
- 1998- present Member of the International Advisory Panel, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, National University of Singapore.