- Director of the Institute for Advanced Humanistic Studies at Peking University
- Harvard-Yenching Professor of Chinese History and Philosophy and of Confucian Studies,
- Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations, Harvard University
- Born: February 1940
- Place of Birth: Kunming, China
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.A. in Chinese Studies, Tunghai University, Taiwan, 1961
- M.A. in Regional Studies — East Asia, Harvard University, 1963
- Ph.D. in History and East Asian Languages, Harvard University, 1968
- 1966-1967: Lecturer in the Humanities, Tunghai University, Taiwan.
- 1968-1971: Assistant Professor in East Asian Studies, Princeton University.
- 1971-1981: Successively Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor of History, University of California at Berkeley.
- 1981-: Professor of Chinese History and Philosophy, Harvard University.
- 1983-1986: Chairman, Committee on the Study of Religion, Harvard University.
- 1986-1989: Chairman, Department of East Asian Languages and Civilization, Harvard University.
- 1988-:Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1996-: Director, Harvard-Yenching Institute.
- 1999-2008: Honored as the Harvard-Yenching Professor of Chinese History and Philosophy and of Confucian Studies, Harvard University. It is the first time that a professorship is named on ?onfucian Studies?in the English-speaking world.
- 2009-:Professor of Philosophy, Peking University.
- 2010-:Fellow of International Institute of Philosophy.
- 1981-: Chair, Harvard Seminar in Confucian Studies.
- 1984-1992: Overseas Member of Board of Directors, Institute of East Asian Philosophy, Singapore.
- 1988-: Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- 1990: Visiting Professor at L’Ecole Practique des Haute Etudes, Paris.
- 1990-1991: Director, Institute of Culture and Communication, East-West Center, Hawaii.
- 1993-: Co-chair, Seminar on “The Chinese in the Global Community,” Aspen Institute
- 1995-: Chair, Advisory Board of the Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy, Academia Sinica, Taiwan.
- 1997-: Member of the International Advisory Panel, Centre for Civilisational Dialogue, University of Malaya.
- 1998- 2001: Member of the Advisory Committee to the Program Committee of the Eastern Section of American Philosophical Association.
- 1998- 2000: Member of the International Advisory Panel, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, National University of Singapore.
- 2000-: Member of the International Advisory Council of Toda Institute
- 2001: Group of Eminent Person, the United Nation